We are pleased to supply you with the latest edition of Client Alert, which contains information on a number of important taxation developments up to and including 22 April 2022.
- Employees vs contractors: more clarity coming – Recently, the High Court handed down a significant decision in a case involving the distinction between employees and contractors.
- Movement at the FBT station: COVID-19 tests, car parking – FBT is generally seen as a relatively slow-moving and quiet area of tax law. But Budget day this year saw some movement at the FBT station, specifically regarding COVID-19 tests provided to staff, and also car parking benefits.
- ATO urges vigilance: new TFN and ABN scams – The ATO has warned about an increase in reports of fake websites offering to provide tax file numbers and Australian business numbers for a fee.
- Federal Budget fuel excise reduction: will all businesses benefit? – The uncertainty around fuel availability has seen fuel prices soar across Australia. The recent Federal Budget proposed an answer via a temporary (six-month) fuel excise reduction.
- ATO’s COVID-related support for SMSFs – The ATO is offering support and relief to SMSF trustees for the 2019–2020, 2020–2021 and 2021–2022 income years.
Click here to download our May Client Alert.